Teaching and Training
As a facilitator and trainer since 1987 (see personal and professional details), I'm learning all the time about how to improve my work and help participants enjoy sessions and understand and learn from themselves and each other. Participants usually finish a session with an action plan and some achievable first steps towards their goals.
"Informative session, trainer was obviously very knowledgeable and experienced in effective communication. Session ran well, timing excellent, interesting and relevant — thank you."
My experience includes:
- Teaching youth workers to use solution focused (SF) techniques with their users
- Teaching University supervision course students about SF supervision
- Teaching about depression and eating disorders for staff of a counselling charity
- Facilitating problem-based learning groups in University
- Teaching team managers and leaders team leadership skills
- Training in facilitation skills/supervision skills for clinical staff and managers
- Facilitating groups for mentors/supervisors
- Teaching managers to use coaching skills with staff
- Teaching primary care receptionists communication skills for managing difficult or anxious people
- Consulting on and developing clinical supervision schemes in many NHS Trusts (see article).
"I enjoyed the feeling of warmth & trust & safety that Carole engendered; the outline of the solution focused method will be useful with patients as well as supervisees."
I offer bespoke courses tailored to the needs of your group. If you don't see what you need in the general topics below, let me know; I may be able to develop a course for you.
All courses are short (typically 2 days) and based upon the solution focused approach.
- Solution focused counselling skills
- Solution focused conversations for professionals
- Coaching skills for leadership
- Waiting list management
- Clinical supervision skills for professionals
- Teamwork in your organisation
My style of teaching
Is relaxed and inclusive. My belief is that what participants say and do contributes more to their learning than what I say. So teaching is aimed at helping participants to explore and discover more about their own, and each others', thinking and understanding on the topic. Participants are involved from the outset; I regard participants as the experts in how they learn, while I provide the structure and opportunities for exploration and discovery.
Each participant receives:
- A comprehensive information pack
- A certificate of attendance
- Three months' email support
The commissioning manager or group will receive an anonymised summary of all evaluation forms completed on the day.
I'm interested in giving you exactly what you need. And I'll go on being interested after the session; I'm always delighted to hear of progress, and I put groups I've already worked with at the top of my priority list.
"Your approach is very accessible and reassuring and participants felt supported."
Process of arranging training:
Initially, I'll respond to any enquiry (email or telephone) by giving you clear written information. My usual fees are £600 per day plus expenses, or £400 + expenses for a half-day or less. We can then go on to have a meeting or telephone discussion to talk about your needs in more detail, and if this is satisfactory, when you are ready we can book dates. I can develop a plan and outline agenda for you. I'll then ask you to sign my training agreement which confirms administrative details. At the end of your course or series of courses, I will send you a summary of the evaluation sheets completed by participants, together with my comments.
Her enthusiasm, depth of experience and highly developed skills as both a trainer and a coach mean that Carole has much to offer individuals and teams who want to optimise their impact.
Contact me for further details on any of the above.